Thursday, March 21, 2013

New beginnings

My new walk to work involves crossing the common and cutting down a terraced road to the River Thames. Powerful rowers battle against the tidal flow, pulling hard in perfect unison. Swans, ducks, geese and gulls ready themselves for the day – plucking and pruning. I peek through open windows and smile to myself as I amble past drivers queuing impatiently in the building traffic.

I cross over the bridge which dates back to 1886 – where people once crossed on foot and horse having passed through the toll gates guarding each end of the old bridge. I too cross on foot, but there are no horses… only cyclists, cars and an endless stream of red London buses.

Overhead, the Heathrow-bound flights line up as they descend one by one in a well-timed sequence.

My final approach takes me through beautiful mature trees and dappled sunlight (on the rare occasion), bright yellow spring daffodils and a muddy pathway that opens up onto an expansive lawn lying at the foot of the old Palace.

Enter Queen Camilla... it's time to go to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment