Saturday, June 02, 2012

"What not to" do at a wine tasting

I arrived at Cannizaro House for a wine tasting of a selection of wines from Revelstoke, a wine boutique in Raynes Park.

It was that magical light you get just before sundown, where everyone is lit up with a soft warm glow. The rolling lawn disappeared into the trees and the little birdies chirped happily as they prepared themselves for the night. Totally romantic! We enjoyed our initial bubbles alfresco on the terrace until the cool night air pushed us back into the tasting room.

The beautiful Cannizaro House is home to 34 acres of park.
Inside, 35 wines from all corners of the globe were lined up waiting patiently for our attention and judgement. We arrived late so were a little behind the curve and the swing of things, but we made quick progress through the numbered wines, through the bubbles, whites, rosés, and reds... swirling, sniffing, slurping, spitting and by the sound level in the room, mostly swallowing.

Across the room I had clocked this rather dashing man. Whew! I watched from afar as he progressed around the room with his friends. Nice smile. Lovely laugh. Definitely a man to take home to mommy!

By the time we were ready for the reds a hot debate was taking place as to whether number 32 or number 34 was the wine of the evening. I noted Mr Take-home-to-mummy at the table and so, on approach, I enthusiastically asked him what his number was. He grinned his cute grin and replied that people usually ask him his name first before asking for his number!

Oh yes... the ground really did open up and swallow me whole as I died a quick and painful death, whilst all those around us laughed hysterically at my little faux pas.

I never did get his number, and with all the distraction I'll never know if number 32 or number 34 was the wine of the night.

2 comments:

  1. I am feeling the heat of your blush, Mills. How absolutely funny. Altho, the "Je suis tres jolie" to the Burgundy winemaker still takes the cake, I think! (instead of "je suis tres heureuse"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dinx - another little story entirely! Maybe one day I will actually make it past the beginner level of a language. A Russian friend amusingly said in an email to me today, about my impending visit, that he's looking forward to my passions! I think he meant plans.

      Delete