Friday, May 18, 2012

Fifty shades of... Riesling

Riesling just has to be the grape varietal of the season! It’s a wonderful spring wine.

A Riesling is a far less invasive wine compared to some of the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs currently on the market.  Take “The Ned” for example. It’s one of our most popular Friday afternoon wines in our office, but without food, or if it’s not ice cold, it can hit you like a slap in the face! It’s astringency is just a little much for me.

I adore the metallic minerality and the oily, seductively silken feel of Riesling as it envelops my mouth. This style of wine is beautifully balanced with the acidity of green apples and citrus and it doesn’t bother me in the least that many of these wines are off-dry as the acidy gives the Riesling a bit of a kick and it's wonderfully rounded structure, cutting through the oiliness - a refreshing balance.

Of course let’s not forget the world-class Rieslings coming out of Australia these days, especially the Clare Valley, an area I am desperate to explore… and the finessed German-styled Rieslings from cooler regions of South Africa. Paul Cluver from the Elgin region springs to mind.

Fortunately, in the UK we have access to so many great wines... So... if I close my eyes tightly, I can imagine myself being seduced by the likes of Christian Grey… oops, I mean picture myself relaxing on a deck-chair, watching the sun go down over the vineyards, glass of Riesling in hand.

Cheers!

(I did note that E L James let her characters enjoy a fine 2004 Klein Constantia Vin de Constance with dessert, although, for those who've read Fifty Shades of Grey, you know what really went on for dessert... I think our author enjoys her food and wines from the detail and care she's taken in her books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment